Re: [LILO] how to boot a second IDE HD?

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 10:20:19PM -0700, Jack Lee wrote:
> Hi:
>
>    Currently, I'm running linux well on my first
> IDE HD, but the problem comes when I try to use
> lilo booting the second IDE HD. Please give me
> some advices. Thanks :) Oh, by teh way, the first
> IDE HD (/dev/hda) is the master drive on first
> IDE controller. The second IDE HD (/dev/hdd) is
> the slave drive on second IDE controller.
>
>    I've tried to modify /etc/lilo.conf to boot
> the DOS on /dev/hdd3, but it fails. The error
> message appearing at the booting time is the
> following:

Hi,

It seems to me there is a rule about booting off hda and hdb only (I think the
documentation says "the first 2 ide drives").

It's right up there with the 1023 sector rule.  I hear folks have gotten
around that now-adays, so maybe there is a way around your problem too.

Can you rearrange things and hang it off the primary slave?  That works.

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard