Re: sendmail: to queue or not to queue

Remco van de Meent wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm looking for a way to have local and remote deliveries in sendmail being
> scheduled in a different way. I'd like to do this:
>
>  . if an incoming email is being sent to a local mail address, then try to
>    deliver immediately
>  . if an incoming email is being sent to a remote mail address, queue the
>    message till runq is run
>
> I can't find a way to do this. Maybe anyone reading this message does know
> how to get this trick done?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>  -Remco

In general terms:

You have to create a local mailer which delivers immediately. Add a
local_net_config rule that uses the rule.  If I remember correctly this is
described in one of the files in /usr/doc/sendmail

Set the regular mailer as expensive. Plus alter the queue processing in
/etc/init.d/sendmail.

Hope you can take it from here. It has been a while since I set this up.

John.