X-Window help the debian way?

Hi there, I am new to debian using SuSE for the last two years.
I installed hamm last night and every thing was pretty easy to install
even though, I did come across a problem with my mouse getting assigned to my modem com port, hehe, dunno how, but fixed that, and it fixed my modem and mouse problem, now all I have left is X. Ok, I tryed using XF86Setup, and it seems to do every thing like normal, as SuSE uses this same program to setup X. However, after I save my XF86Config file, and try startx at the prompt I get nothing... SO, it is not finding my server, I cd /etc/X11; ls -a; and I see some server files, or apear to be any how, newxserver-svgaserver and some more. I have a Gernric Trident GUI4440 2 meg card, Any help would be needed. And I did edit the file /etc/X11/Server like it said and put the name of the newxserver-svga* in it thinking it would work, but no luck, any one willing to help me get X up and running. And if this is not the debian way Teach Me please. I have looked at docs but it says nothing about X and being a debian thing, etc.. or ... I dunno, I will try some more, I will check back in a while see if some has any ideas..

Thanks..
Chris.