Installing Debian 2.1r2

Hello, I received a Debian disk with the "Debian GNU/ Linux; Guide to
installation and usage". I am not very impressed with the "dbootstrap" so
far after a dozen attempts on three different machines. I'm ready to give
up. In my lifetime I have never seen a pre-packaged loader operate as this
one does. Is there a possibility that the version I received with my book is
faulty? That is the only thing I can think that could be wrong. Well, except
the obvious user errors. I just can't imagine that it should be this hard to
install. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.