Re: make partitions larger?

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Dave Sherohman wrote:

 : Dave McFadden said:
 : > I can sucessfully create hda4 out of the empty space, but trying to mount it as /usr /etc /temp etc. only replaces my existing directory rather than extend that space... entirely reasonable, but it's not what I need right now.  :-)
 :
 : Taking the opposite approach from the replies you've received so far, this
 : idea is fairly simple to make work properly.  (Having just moved a few
 : directories last night from local to NFS mounts, it's on my mind...)
 :
 : All you have to do is
 :
 : mv /tmp /tmp-old
 : mount /new/partition /tmp
 : cp -r /tmp-old /tmp
 : rm -rf /tmp-old      (Don't do this before you're happy with the new scheme!)

Huh?  Why move the original dir before copying it?  That makes no sense
to me and could introduce really fun problems.

Here's my solution (this generally turns into a religious debate soon,
so be aware that I'm telling you how I do it, not how you should do it).

Let's say I want to put /usr onto a new partition; let's call it
/dev/hda4

[ as root ]
  mke2fs /dev/hda4 # twiddle bytes per inode and the like if needed
  mount /dev/hda4 /mnt
  cd /usr
  find . -xdev -print | cpio -padm /mnt
  umount /mnt
  rm -r .
  cd ..
  mount /dev/hda4 /usr

Works every time.  cpio handles device files well; tar doesn't.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD