Re: compiling potato packages on slink (Re: No KDE/GNOME for stable?)

On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 03:38:50PM -0400, navindra@cs.mcgill.ca wrote:

> Which reminds me, building source packages is really not as easy as
> one would hope it to be.

> I had to go through some contortions to build the potato ssh-1.2.27
> package on slink.  Example: The perl5 dependency had to be edited to
> make it a perl dependency.  libgmp2 had to be edited to gmp2.  A bunch

Surely the gmp dependancy should be generated by shlibdeps?

> of fake PAM dependencies had to be removed...  ssh-ask control section

I'd imagine that the PAM dependancies are needed on Potato, which uses
PAM.

> had to be removed since I was compiling on a non-X machine.  I had to
> find a bunch of packages required for compilation by trial and
> error...

Have you seen the source dependancies proposal that either just got
accepted as policy or is about to?  They should deal with the "what do I
need for this package" problem.  The current best practice is to put a
note in the package (I use debian/README.source) if anything wierd is
required for compilation, but it's not at all well established.

Dealing with building and installing on an old distribution is *much*
harder - the packages for unstable are supposed to work with unstable,
not on a generic system.  If the packages depended upon change then
what happens?  If it's a simple renaming one could depend upon the old
package or the new package, but if it's totally new functionality that's
more than a shared library (such dependancies are generally figured out
at build time) you've got to put it in the dependancies explicitly.

Similarly for generating only part of a given source package - how much
configurability should be required?

> BSD does kind of spoil you that way.

How does BSD handle changes in packages, or dependancies on new
packages?  I've got a feeling that BSD is solving a different problem to
the one Debian does.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/