Installing slink with a 2.3 kernel

I am trying to install slink on my friend's computer. However, she needs a 2.3 kernel (because she has a new hard drive controller that only the 2.3.x kernels recognize). What I tried to do is compile the kernel from my own linux box (I tested it out and it booted fine, by the way), copy it over to her computer, and use loadlin (from DOS) to start the installation with the new kernel. However, loadlin gives me an error that it is "not a kernel image". I'm using loadlin 1.6, which *says* it has support for bzImages (I compiled the kernel with make bzImage..).

Anyone have any ideas on how I could get loadlin to work correctly or another way of installing debian with a kernel not from the CD?

I also tried making boot & root disks by hand and got an error about "could not find init" after inserting the root disk... even though I had /sbin/init on that disk. Is there a correct Debian way to make boot/root disks with a new kernel or is by scratch the only option available to me?

If anyone could help in any way, thanks a lot.

Colin McMillen