ipx printing, the parallel port, and ipx collisions

I had the deskjet attached to this thing working, at least for
postscript printing.  I then installed ncp to use the novell laser
printers, successfully printed to one, and now I can't print to the
deskjet by my side.

Even printing something trivial, I get

hawkinsttyp0:hawk>lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    hawk       22   cs.ps                                 16921 bytes

The printer is most definitely on line, and I printed a page from
windows.  I've tried stopping and starting lpd to no avail.

Possibly related (i've never dealt with novell befre) is that I now
receive plenty of messages to the xconsole of collisioins:

Aug 26 12:53:02 hawkins kernel: IPX: Network number collision 24899
Aug 26 12:53:02 hawkins kernel:         eth0 802.3 and eth0 802.2
Aug 26 12:53:07 hawkins kernel: IPX: Network number collision 24899
Aug 26 12:53:07 hawkins kernel:         eth0 802.3 and eth0 802.2
Aug 26 12:53:23 hawkins kernel: IPX: Network number collision 24899
Aug 26 12:53:23 hawkins kernel:         eth0 802.3 and eth0 802.2
Aug 26 12:53:25 hawkins kernel: IPX: Network number collision 24899
Aug 26 12:53:25 hawkins kernel:         eth0 802.3 and eth0 802.2

Finally, is there an extra how-to around for magic filter?  It claimed
to have configured successfully and accepted the printer I told it, but
it doesn't seem to be doing anything; I still get the stair-case effect
on text files (and this machine is a bit low on horsepower to use
ghostscript all the time).

While I'm pushing my luck, the IPX howto mentioned that it's possible
to set up queues to use normal linux printing to send to novell network
printers; is there an explanation for this anywhere?

rick