Re: SQL engines

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> PostgreSQL has more features, especially transactions; Mysql does not have
> these and is therefore faster, but less suitable for applications which
> need to guarantee informational integrity.  Look at www.postgresql.org
> for more information on PostgreSQL.

It is entirely possible to guarantee data integrity in MySQL just as much
as with a more ordinary transaction-oriented database.  It's a little
different way of thinking, though.  You have to use a locking system
similar to that used in a multithreaded programming language.

I personally find the MySQL approach simpler, but it won't be if your
brain is already wired for transaction centric thinking.

Anyway, for 10-15MB database MySQL's speed will not be that noticeable if
you use any kind of reasonable hardware to serve it with (say a Pentium
class system).  Your choice in this case will be based on licensing (you
can't resell MySQL or integrate it into a product you're selling without
paying licensing fees, but you get full source to either one) and your
desire to use or not use a transaction based approach to SQL.

MySQL also is more commonly used for integrating with web applications,
but there is no reason why PostgreSQL wouldn't be capable of this too.