installation hang up at SCSI card

>I couldn't install Debian because the boot kernel >hangs up at the
>SCSI card(2940). There are thousands of bug reports >about this.

>Are the debian people still working? Why didn't they >try to do
anything
>about it?
>
>Is there anyone know the solution? Thanks.
The problem is that the default kernel on the debian boot floppy image
has EVERY thing but the kitchen sink in it as far as scsi controller
support is concerned.  I had the same problem (with an AHA2840).  I
solved it by borrowing and IDE cd rom and installing debian off that.
I had to disable the bios in the scsi controller so that it would NOT
be detected on boot, then install off the IDE cd rom, then compile in
support for the controler into my kernel, then re-enable the bios in
the controller, then (finally) I had working support for the scsi
controller.  This only worked because my boot disk was ide (only needed
the scsi for the cd rom, and a second hard disk which I later made the
/usr partition).  A better way is to get a replacement kernel for the
boot floppy which ONLY has support for the scsi controller of your
choice.

Why can't debian do it the RedHat way and have NO compiled in support
for scsi hw?  They ASK what controller you have AFTER booting the
kernel and then load the correct module.

BTW I downloaded stormx linux and tried to install it on a system with
a scsi cd rom and found they have NO support for scsi AT ALL in their
support.  I guess they only work with IDE cd roms (at this time).

===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....