Gdm is evil!

I have spent the past 5 hours bashing my brains out getting gdm to work on my
system and it never will!
I try to start it and it just displays a blank screen without the window popping

up. I tried to do as the README.Debian said and to change the symlinksso that
gdm and xdm are isolated in different runlevels. What I did was just to delete
S99xdm (the symlink to /etc/init.d/xdm) so that it won't lock the system anymore

however it still will not display anything I have installed all of the
dependencies however it still hates me!
The binary for the login interface program works but does nothing on it's own. I

assume this is a problem with pam/config files. I looked at /etc/gdm/Init and
say :0 and Default which together has only a single program called xsetroot and
some rather cryptic arguments. This appears to be broken or what? Could someone
please help me?

Separate hype from hope on Wall Street. Visit  http://www.streetforce.com