Re: more RAM = more speed?

-> I have Debian 2.1 running on a P-133 with 32MB of RAM and a 6.4GB Western
-> Digital IDE, but it is awful slow when I have a lot of stuff running,
-> including a few Netscape Communicator web browsers.  Specifically, it
-> likes to keep me waiting while it stops and runs the hard disk in the
-> middle of a program, or sometimes when I switch to a virtual console that
-> has been idle for a while.

->              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
-> Swap:       128484      32196      96288
                           ^^^^^
This says you should have _at least_ 32 mb more. As long as you are going to
play with staroffice, buy even more, you should have 96 or 128 megs then

-> 1.  Am I barking up the wrong tree with the idea of a RAM upgrade?

-> 2.  Is it a bad idea to buy RAM for a P-133 since it only takes 72-pin?
->     Instead, should I upgrade to a motherboard that can handle a newer
->     type of RAM?

not needed.

-> 4.  Is there something else I should upgrade?

you can upgrade anything, disk, CPU, mainboard i'd prefer upgrading this
way:

1. memory
2. CPU
3. adding another HDD for much user filesystems - swap, tmp, var
   preferrably on another controller. The new drive can be just around
   1.6GB, the speed is important imo

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at Telenor Internet Kosice, Slovakia
 BIC coord for *.sk; admin of netlab.irc.sk; co-admin of irc.felk.cvut.cz