Network Tangle

Hi thanks for reading this,

I have just re installed the latest version on a Toshiba Laptop, with a CNET PCMCIA card in a slot, which gives me access, (Though Limited) to my Windows Network. The windows Network uses Wingate Proxy server to access the Internet.

I have re installed a number of times trying to get access via the proxy to the local Australian Mirror site. ftp://ftp.au.debian.org/debian

apt does not get through the proxy, however I can ftp directly by opening the ip address of Wingate and then doing a logon to the ftp site.

I have set export ftp_proxy=ftp://192.168.0.1 however this does not seem to work. Here is the ip makeup of my local network, and the DNS host at Xtra who are my isp.

Debian Laptop is 192.168.0.3
Desktop with Wingate is 192.168.0.1
Xtra's DNS service is 202.27.184.3 and .5 for secondary
I set 202.27.184.3 and 5 as the Other DNS system in the network setup phase of install.

I do not have a 56K modem for the laptop so ppp is not an option. The fact that I can ftp through the proxy suggests that I am some of the way there. But as you can see I am in a tangle, and cannot resolve the path for apt to use to do its thing.

Anyone out there got the time and patience to help out.

john D Smith