Re: DVD on Linux?

Kent West wrote:
> Oh Man! This means I've talked my sister into a Linux box for
> nothing; playing DVDs was an important issue for her. At least
> we're still in the planning stage. I guess it's back to her
> original plan of getting a blue-box G3 (at three times the cost).
> At least I'll be able to put LinuxPPC on it....

If playing DVDs is a big issues then, yes, Linux is not a good idea
at the moment.  However, this may change shortly...  there are
several LInux-DVD projects out there that are working on a solution
linuxdvd.corepower.com   is the home page for one of them.
the folks at LinuxTV(www.linuxtv.org) have also developed a DVD hardware
decoder/driver, and are looking for a company to market it.  Within
the next 6 months to a year DVDs on Linux should be a (small) reality,
although only a small subset of the current hardware will probably be
supported.

--Evan