Re: xf86setup q's

> i've got vga monitor, which plugs into a port at the back of the
> computer.  i don't have a video card for the monitor, meaning that the
> monitor connects to the motherboard via ribbon from the port.

OK, you have an on-board video card (built into the motherboard).  There
are several motherboards like this, so it will take more specific
information.  Perhaps the name of the motherboard would be enough.

> i also have a  3-button, genius net mouse.
>
> what selections do i make for these items in xf86setup?  specifically,
> what monitor card do i select and what mouse dev name do i select?  i
> learned the cd dev name by scrolling through the boot messages.  but, i
> don't think i can do that for the mouse dev name.

If you have a PS/2 mouse, I think it would be /dev/psaux

If you have a serial mouse, these are the equivalents to DOS/Windows

DOS	Linux
COM1	/dev/ttyS0
COM2	/dev/ttyS1
COM3	/dev/ttyS2
COM4	/dev/ttyS3

There is also the possibility that it is a bus mouse, or some other kind
of mouse I don't know about.

Hope this helps,
Patrick