RE: debian installation

I think you're absolutely right.  I'm still working on my first installation
(2 months and counting).  Linux is *not* happy with a PnP soundcard and
CD-ROM.  From everything I've read, it appears to be necessary to recompile
the kernel when configuring PnP hardware.  Unfortunately, this can not be
done when you only have the base kernel installed.  So, it seems, first-time
installation from a PnP CD ROM is impossible.

My next attempt will involve copying the entire Debian CD #1 onto my DOS
partition and installing from there.

Jeff J