Re: DSL good enough to run a small server on?

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, [iso-8859-1] André Bell wrote:

> Now I'll have to call them (listen to the hard sale) and find out if
> they have $4,000 per month in mind -- no thanks -- or something less.
> $4,000 per month just for a hook up, plus ISP fees, is way too
> expensive for what I have in mind.

There is no reason anyone should get away with charging $4,000 per month
for DSL.  A full T-1 in an urban area will cost, at most, half that.
This is in the United States, of course.  When I had a T-1 I paid $300/mo
for line charges (not counting ISP fees).  My ADSL runs $40/mo for line
charges (again, not counting the ISP fees).  That's 256Kbps line speed,
too.  If you want an 8Mb line, you'll have to pay more - much more - but
probably still less than $4,000.  If you are really running a "small"
server than some sort of residential style setup should be quite adequate.

> Thanks too for letting me know the ip address changes every 12 hours,
> that could be a real bugger.

This is totally dependent on your ISP.  DSL is just like a telephone
circuit - the carrier (the phone company) is not necessarily the same as
the ISP, although it can be.  In some states (maybe all?  I don't know)
the phone company is required to grant access to the DSL network to
third-party ISP's.  They are not necessarily required to tell you this,
however, so you may have to ask if you can get another ISP.  Sometimes, of
course, the phone company may actually be the best ISP for your needs.

The ISP is really who determines what you can do with your DSL connection.
They assign your IP address(es) and dictate what you can and cannot do
with your traffic.  Some ISP's block incoming connections under the guise
of "security" - obviously you don't want one of these if you want to run a
server :}  Getting a static IP is of course highly desirable but many ISPs
will give you one of these anyway as with DSL it is actually easier for
them to give you a static IP than a dynamic one.  Dynamic IP addresses are
*only* useful for modem and ISDN connections, they are a waste of time for
everybody involved with DSL.

If you want to have multiple IP addresses, there are a number of ways you
can do this.  Easiest would be to get the ISP to simply route N addresses
for you and then connect a hub to an external ADSL bridge.  You could also
get an ADSL router and have them give you a subnet, or use Linux as a
router for your subnet with some sort of ADSL bridge.  Discuss it with
prospective ISP candidates before you select one.