what is mmap?

I wanted to apply a patch to xfmail so that I could use GNUpg with it,
but I was unable to install the new package because the Debian xforms
package is missing something and because I did not know where xfmail was
expecting to find libxforms so I could put a symlink there.

I downloaded xforms source and installed it and I was able to get xfmail
to work once, now it just segfaults and when I try to install it again I
get a warning about not having a working "mmap"  What is that??

thanks

--
Andrew