er - how to print?

Hello,

My father-in-law just hgave me an OKI OL600ex laser printer.

Never having had a printer before, I've never had to set one up under linux.

I read the (long and waffly) printing howto and printing-usage howto , but am having problems just getting started.

I have pirnting support in the kernel (lp appears under /proc/devices) and proc/ioports gives:

<blurb>
0378-037f : lp
<blurb>

Doing any prinitng (e.g. cat afile.txt > /dev/lp or echo hello > /dev/lp does nothing - lpq just says:

waiting for lp to become ready (offline?)
<the jobs waiting>

WTF? The printers connected up Ok and the thing's on and like plugged in and stuff - what do I have to do? What's wrong?

My /etc/printcap has a load of entries in it (not put there by me...(
Could they be wrong? I don'#t undetrstand the printcap manpage - it just refers to me some bloddy bsd 4.2 (?) manual!

Thuis should be easy, no?

Help!

Martin