ftp via proxy server, for dselect

Hi,
I have loaded debian onto a satellite 110CS for about the 4th time this weekend, But finally getting somewhere, I have a situation where the network I am plugged into has a proxy server out to the internet. Now I can actually watch in the proxy server window to see what the embryo Debian box is asking the proxy to do, and when I choose ftp access in dselect, the proxy is instructed to do a DNS search for the debian site. But it returns a no go or failure, and that is about as far or as near to getting going with Linux I can get.
Anyone got a hint.
jds