Re: install problem with base2_1.tgx

Richard Zeigler wrote:

> List,
>
> I am installing Debian 2.1 on a Toshiba Satelite T2130CS laptop w/ 32MB
> RAM, 2 gig HD and i486 processor.  I am booting from the rescue disk and
> intend to use an existing DOS partition to install the base system  (the
> laptop has no cd or modem).  Everything went great until it came to the
> base insallation when I got an error message that there is a problem
> uncompresing base2_1.tgz.  I tried switching install paths and was told
> the the file could not be found, then I used the correct path and got the
> same uncompress message.  Base on this and the HD indicator I think that
> debian is finding and acessing the base file but having trouble after
> that.  The base file was transfered to the laptop via Iomega zip disk.
> Those are all the details the I can think of.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance
> RZ
>
> PS  I have tried using diferent zip disks to transfer the file to the
> laptop.

You might try downloading the "base2_1.tgz" file again in case
it's corrupt. Especially if you downloaded it via Netscape; you
might want to ftp it down instead (although this is usually a
problem with the "linux" file instead of the "base2_1.tgz" file).
Alternatively, you could do a floppy install (although I think
the method you're using is easier).

Also, make sure you have plenty of free space on the DOS
partition (I don't know that this would matter, since I believe a
RAM disk is being used during the install, but I'd check it
anyway).

You might also try gunzipping it manually, but I don't know
enough to tell you where to gunzip it to and how to let the
install routine know that it's gunzipped. If you get this
desperate, perhaps someone else can give you better advice.