Sound volume problems

I have recompiled my kernel (slink, kernel 2.0.36 i think?) to support
sound. I can now play waveforms catting to /dev/audio, s3mod works and I can
play xkoules and quake with sound. The problem is that the volume is
extremely low. The sound is very faint even when I turn the amp up to 100%,
while in Windoze it works fine at 5-10%. I set the volume to the maximum
with a mixer (aumix, xmix), too, which helped just a little. Has anybody had
this problem, too? Any possible solutions? Thanks in advance,

Arnout Engelen
arnout.engelen@beer.com (since i'm having some trouble with my mail server,
please CC me at that adress, too).