Re: how to format mySeagate ST33210A

> > Jumping in the middle here, so pardon me if I'm way off.  Is your Seagate
> > ST33210A an IDE drive?
>
> Yes

That makes it easier for me.  I know a bit about IDE, but nothing about
SCSI.

> > Debian 1.0?  I'm going to assume you mean 2.0, in which case I have the
> > same disks...
>
> No, I labeled them Debian 1.0 when I created them.  I might have
> mislabeled
> them, though.

If they are really Debian 1.0, I would really suggest getting a newer
Debian!  The first Debian I saw was 1.3, so I don't even know 1.0.

> No, I see that the dmesg report doesn't see the drive, and the BIOS
> doesn't
> detect it, either.  I also notice that the HDD light on my generic
> (Kenitec)
> case stays constantly lit when the new drive is installed.  I don't know
> what
> to do about it, though.

If I recall correctly, the discussion mentioned looking for a /dev/hdd.
If it is set to slave, hooked to your secondary IDE controller and has
power, I don't know what to say.  It almost sounds like a hardware thing
since the BIOS doesn't detect it.  If there is no master on the secondary
IDE controller, the drive may not be willing to run as a slave to an
invisible master.

> > If you can run without the CD-ROM temporarily, how about setting the
> > Seagate as primary slave in place of the CD-ROM which is now /dev/hdb
>
> I'll give that a try - I seldom use the CD anyway (sounds not working
> either).

If you try setting it as slave, hooking it up in place of your CD-ROM, and
it still doesn't work, I would begin to wonder about the drive!

Hope this helps,
Patrick