Re: NFS and file locking

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Stephen Pitts wrote:

> doesn't work. I think that it is trying to lock the files in some
> non-NFS compatible way.

You have to run lockd if you want locking to work over NFS.  Even so,
locking still doesn't work right (i.e. it still leaves open the
possibility of race conditions) and it only works with flock(), as far as
I know.  fcntl() won't work because fcntl() style locks are supposedly
"mandatory" locks and the NFS protocol has no support for mandatory
locking.

> Are there any workarounds to these NFS locking problems?

Yeah, create the locks on a local filesystem :}