Re: alsa starts, then disappears; play works, aplay fails

  I encountered the same problem, more or less. All of the modules were
  running. I used the ./snddevices to create the devices and not only
  could ALSA not see them, neither could my other programs.  I
  configured the driver with OSS support (default) and followed the
  instructions... so I was a little baffled. I had to recreate my audio
  devices so I could load my old set-up.  If you get a clue, pass it on.
--

Eric G. Miller