About rlogind, rshd and terminal information

Hi.

I have a very weird problem, that I hope somebody can
helt me with. The setup is as follows: I am introducing
debian-linux into an environment made up of HPUX, SunOS
and OSF1 machines. On peoples desk there is an X-terminal,
and a couple of HPUX machines host these Xsessions. I have
the distinct pleasure of fitting debian-linux into this
environment. This is off course going verry well except
for one small, and very annoying, problem. If I do a remsh
(rsh) og rlogin from any of the HPUX machines to the
linux-box, there is trouble with the terminal. Specifically
rows and columns isn't set in the xterm, nor is it updated
if I manually set it with something like eval `resize`.
If I on the other hand use telnet, the the terminal i set
and updated just fine. I have made a dump of the output from
stty -a, at it is as follows:

rlogin:
host6% stty -a
speed 9600 baud; rows 40; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke
host6%

telnet:
speed 38400 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke

If you diff the output from this you get:

host6% diff telnet-dump rlogin-dump
1c1
< speed 9600 baud; rows 40; columns 80; line = 0;
---
> speed 38400 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;

As quite clearly shown, the difference is only in columns and rows
(and speed - but I don't think that is important).

Now here is where the plot thinkens:

This is only a problem if I rsh from an HPUX to linux, not
from OSF1 or SunOS. And another thing that mystifies me is
this. If i rsh to the machine from an HPUX machine and do
a eval `resize`. Then the ternimal is OK as long as I don't
resize the xterm. But if i have done the eval `resize` and
then visit nvi, then the terminal is ok AND the information
gets updated when I resize! A god guess is, that ncurses
does a bit for initialisation of the terminal (since nvi
uses ncurses), but does anybody have a clue og what it
might be??

I am puzzeled, to say the least!

Please help me if you can!

--