VMware on debian: module compilation

Hi guys,

>Bob Nielsen wrote:

>> > Then you should email the authors and tell them not to insist on
>> > having exact kernel headers in /usr/include/linux. It's an assumption
>> > which is not true on Debian GNU/Linux. They should allow you to specify
>> > the location. You should not (and should not need to) do the above
>> > hack to your /usr/include directory.
>>
>> And you don't have to (actully the asm headers aren't used by vmware).
>>
>> I found the following information in the debian-user archives dated
>> 8 Aug 1999 from Alexander Stavitsky, titled "Re: VMware for Debian":
>>
>> In driver-only/Makefile, change the INCLUDE line to read:
>>
>> INCLUDE = -I$(TOPDIR)/include -I$(TOPDIR)/common -I$(TOPDIR)/linux \
>>    -I$(TOPDIR)/export/include /I$/usr/src/linux/include
>>
>> In vmnet-only/Makefile, add an INCLUDE line:
>>
>> INCLUDE = -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include
>>
>> Run make in each of these directories and then copy the vmmon-* and
>> vmnet-* module files which are created to the vmware top directory and
>> run ./install.pl.  It will correctly identify the modules and install
>> them.
>>
>> It would be nice if vmware would include this information in their
>> documentation (see http://www.vmware.com/support/vmodules.html).  I'll
>> even cc: this message to them, although though they "officially" support
>> only Red Hat, Suse and Caldera.  Vmware works fine with Debian.
I'm the only software engineer here at VMware who uses (and has been using
for 3 years) Debian. If VMware installs fine on Debian (although this
isn't mentionned anywhere, because people here think you are not "that
big a distribution"), you can thank me.

Now let's try to solve this issue peacefully:

There is only one thing I dislike with Debian: When an upgrade of the
libc package destroys my links to kernel headers in /usr/include.

However, if somebody takes the time to explain me once for all why
this is the way we do it (and why other distributions don't do it that
way), I'm ready to fix the vmware installation process so that modules
can build correctly even when users run a customized kernel.

In short, is it guaranteed to find the running kernel headers in
                                       ^^^^^^^
/usr/src/linux/include on a Debian system?
         ^^^^^

Is there something about kernel headers in the Linux File System
standard?

>> Another point to mention:
>>
>> The vmnet module will not compile with the current gcc 2.95 in potato.
>> Use gcc272 instead (change the CC = line in Makefile from gcc to
>> gcc272).
gcc 2.95 seems a bit broken. As of yesterday, the whole product and
the modules compile fine internally with the gcc 2.95.1 in the potato
distrib. Expect to find these in VMware for Linux 1.1, which will be
released RSN.

Best regards,
--
Regis "HPReg" Duchesne - Member of Technical Staff - VMWare, Inc.
        www              http://www.VMware.com/