Re: [Re: Vedr: Re: No network?]

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 12:33:25AM -0700, Henning Olsen wrote:
> "Alex V. Toropov" <alex@ct.spb.ru> wrote:

> >>      RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0  overruns:0  frame:0

Your machine isn't seeing any incoming packets.

> I'm using bnc-cables, and the linux is in the middle. I've tried to change
> the T's - no effect.

Since the Windows machines speak to each other fine, the chances are
that the problem is not the cabling.  Generally when I've seen this
behaviour it's been a driver setup problem.

> The start-up messages show no problems initializing the network-card. (Loading
> modules ..... vfat smbfs 3c509 at 0x300 tag 1, 10baseT port, address 00 60 08
> 31 22 84, IRQ 10)
> (eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses)

Are you sure that the interrupt setting is correct?  The I/O interface
probably is if it's got that far.  If the card has any blinking lights
on it, try looking at them and seeing if they act appropriately.  Even
if it's not telling Linux about it, you may be able to see if the card
is getting the packets that way.

You could also try another OS on the box and see where that gets you.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/