Re: Xterm

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 09:27:27AM -0500,
Brian Servis <servis@purdue.edu> wrote:
> *- On 19 Aug, Stavros wrote about "Xterm"
> >
> > 2) i dont know if it is a xterm or a bash problem but when i start a new
> > xterm the ~/.bashrc isn't being read.
> >

> .bashrc is only read in a 'login' shell.  By default xterms don't start
> as a login shell, you need to use the -ls option to xterm.  See the man
> pages for bash and xterm.

No, you're thinking of .profile and .bash_profile, which are only read in
login shells. .bashrc is read by bash in all interactive shells, unless
it is invoked as sh.

The only thing I can think of is that his xterm is invoking sh rather than
bash.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

"Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman--a rope over an abyss.
 A dangerous across, a dangerous on-the-way, a dangerous looking-back,
 a dangerous shuddering and stopping."
 --Friedrich Nietzsche