Re: Moving slink to kernel 2.2

Hi Raymond,

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 09:23:51AM -0400,  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:

>  I've done some poking around on the website, but I can't seem to find a
> list of what needs to be upgraded to move to 2.2. I'd rather not go to
> potato just yet, so is there a set of instructions for running slink on
> 2.2?

there are two methods:

(1)  The hard way
get the kernel
untar the sources
configure the kernel
compile the kernel
be merry and have a drink
install the kernel
reboot.

(2)  The Zen way
Grab the kernel sources and check the README file.  It will
tell you what versions of what tools you need to achieve a state of
perpetual freedom and happyness.

On a slink system freshly installed from CD I chose (1) and never had a
problem.  Slink is "2.2 ready". (I did check the kernel readme
afterwards an noticed that all packages are current enough.)

Be aware of the changes in  the networking code, though.
You do not need the "route" commands in /etc/init.d/network anymore.
They will create a harmless errormessage at boottime.  Comment them
out.

Have fun -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
*** Microsoft leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and