Re: Installation problem

> nopex wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I need some help. I have problem to boot debian installation disks
> (slink), it stops on detecting the scsi interface (aha 2940uw). It´s
> saying something about "downloading instruktions".
> And someone told me to try to boot with a newer kernel, 2.2. But where
> do i find that? I dont have any linux installed to I can't compile it
> my self. And the current installation disk to potato is same as for
> slink (kernel 2.0.36)
>
> Thanx
> // Nopex

I'm not the expert, so I've waited for someone else to answer this, but
I haven't seen a reply. My understanding is that the default kernel has
support for several SCSI cards, and that this causes problems with
trying to use the 2940. The solution is to use a trimmed down kernel.
Someone has created such a beast, but I don't recall where to get it. If
you'll search the Debian Mail Archives for "2940", you should be able to
find the location.

All you have to do once you find the kernal is download it like you
would the default "root" (or is it "boot"? - I forget) disk image, and
"rawrite[2]" it to a floppy and then boot off that floppy instead of the
default floppy. Everything else is the same.