Re: FAT32 to FAT16

mr_ice210@hotmail.com (Kim Andersen) writes:

> I have a problem, I really hope you can help me. I need to convert my
> computer back to FAT16 from FAT32. How can I do that? I have already
> formatted my harddisk (850MB), so does their exist any program, which in
> MS-DOS mode can convert my harddisk back to FAT16?

If there is no data left to lose on the hard disk i'd use a Linux
fdisk and change the partition's ID with it:

----------------- snip -------------------------
[pseelig]~ > su -
Password:
[root]~ > fdisk
Using /dev/hda as default device!

Command (m for help): m
Command action
   a   toggle a bootable flag
   b   edit bsd disklabel
   c   toggle the dos compatibility flag
   d   delete a partition
   l   list known partition types
   m   print this menu
   n   add a new partition
   o   create a new empty DOS partition table
   p   print the partition table
   q   quit without saving changes
   t   change a partition's system id
   u   change display/entry units
   v   verify the partition table
   w   write table to disk and exit
   x   extra functionality (experts only)

Command (m for help): t
Partition number (1-4): 1
Hex code (type L to list codes): L

 0  Empty            c  Win95 FAT32 (LB 64  Novell Netware  a6  OpenBSD
 1  DOS 12-bit FAT   e  Win95 FAT16 (LB 65  Novell Netware  a7  NEXTSTEP
 2  XENIX root       f  Win95 Extended  75  PC/IX           b7  BSDI fs
 3  XENIX usr       11  Hidden DOS FAT1 80  Old MINIX       b8  BSDI swap
 4  DOS 16-bit <32M 14  Hidden DOS FAT1 81  Linux/MINIX     c7  Syrinx
 5  Extended        16  Hidden DOS FAT1 82  Linux swap      db  CP/M
 6  DOS 16-bit >=32 17  Hidden OS/2 HPF 83  Linux native    e1  DOS access
 7  OS/2 HPFS       40  Venix 80286     85  Linux extended  e3  DOS R/O
 8  AIX             41  PPC PReP Boot   93  Amoeba          eb  BeOS fs
 9  AIX bootable    51  Novell?         94  Amoeba BBT      f2  DOS secondary
 a  OS/2 Boot Manag 52  Microport       a5  BSD/386         ff  BBT
 b  Win95 FAT32     63  GNU HURD
Hex code (type L to list codes):

So you'd just have to change "b Win95 FAT32" to "e Win95 FAT16 (LBA)".
Another Linux partition program to use is "cfdisk", which might be
nicer to handle since it's working with a nice curses menu.  All else
is explained in the manual page.
                                      Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------