boot problems

I tried to install linux on an old 386dx-40 with 16mb of ram.  It reads
the resc1440 floppy VERY SLOWLY and somewhere between loading kernel
and decompresssing just dies with 'boot failure'.

I am assuming this is either a bad floppy disk (though it does boot in
two other machines), a bad floppy drive (though I've tried 2 others),
or bad memory (though I'v tried other simms ... only have 1m simms so I
tried several 8mb configurations).  Any other ideas?  I've looked at
the bios settings but nothing looks out of place there.  And the
machine does boot dos 6.2 (not that that means anything).

===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze

Debian Gnu Linux, Live Free or .....