strange pppd question

Strange what I'm doing; pppd works fine :)

I'm trying to write a daemon (in perl) that monitors the "health" of the
next hop on an ethernet port (think DSL or cable connection), and dials
a provider when the connection goes down.  To do this, I need to invoke
pppd from my prgram ... pppd forks and disconnects to do this, so I have
no easy way to determine WHEN the link is up (I delete the eth default
route and add a ppp0 default route only once the dial-link is up, or
that's the plan).  Right now I have to use sleep and that's plain ugly
(and doesn't always work when the dial server is cranky).

So, how to discover that pppd is up and running on a link?  Perhaps I'm
being incredibly dense here (I'm sure I am) but I don't see how to do it

Any ideas?  Am I re-inventing a wheel?

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD