Re: Kernel panic!

Hi all! Thanks for the replies...

I managed to figure out what was wrong: my custom-compiled kernel had the IDE
drivers as *modules* (and I didn't list them in /etc/modules) -- so after the
kernel finished initializing, it discovers that it didn't know *how* to read
/dev/hda1 because it hadn't loaded the IDE drivers yet!! That was what the
kernel panic was all about. :-)

Silly, silly, me... don't know why in the world I would configure the IDE
drivers to be modules rather than compiled-in, but after managing to boot into
the system with the older kernel on my Rescue Disk (which, of course, had
built-in IDE drivers, not modules), I managed to recompile the kernel with the
right config. Now the server is up and running.

Thanks anyway for the help...