Re: confusing X problem

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I think I am closer to having a
working setup, but not there yet.

> What does SuperProbe say about your video card??

First video: Super-VGA
        Chipset: Tseng ET4000 (Port Probed)
        Memory:  256 Kbytes
        RAMDAC:  Generic 8-bit pseudo-color DAC
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))

I have no idea if that's right.  The new XF86_SVGA server says the chipset
it a Weitek P9100, which agrees with Diamond's Windows drivers for the
Viper Pro Video.

> The SVGA server can only see that you have got 64k video ram.
> Try uncomment out the line:
> 	    #VideoRam    2048
> in your XF86Config file.

Umm, this was sort of fixed when I installed the newer SVGA server.  It
now sees all 2048K. Should I still make the change?

> You might also try out the latest server from XFree86.org.

I think this was the most helpful change.  Now it tries to run 800x600,
but for some strange reason, the monitor turns off when xdm starts.  That
is, the power light on the monitor gets dimmer after a few seconds, then
goes off after another few seconds.  I think these two pieces of the
/var/log/xdm.log may be relevant:

(--) SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 800x600
(--) SVGA: SpeedUp code selection modified because virtualX != 1024
POWER ON
(--) SVGA: Using XAA (XFree86 Acceleration Architecture)
(--) SVGA: XAA: Solid filled rectangles

[snip]

System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm
-m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> "
-eml "Errors
from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86
compiled/xfree86.xkm'POWER OFF
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

[end of /var/log/xdm.log]

Can someone tell me what that "POWER OFF" and "POWER ON" means, and what I
should do?

I have never seen that in output from X before!  The monitor is shutting
itself off, so I think something is probably wrong in my XF86Config, but
at least the newer SVGA server that likes this chipset.  By the way, the
monitor is an NEC MultiSync XV15+

As always, my XF86Config and xdm.log are at:

http://home.internetcds.com/~compman/XF86Config
http://home.internetcds.com/~compman/xdm.log

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Patrick Olson