Re: No Mouse, No X Windows

Wendell Buckner wrote:

> Well the graphically interface is nice(I've been dealing with just console
> up to now), but it's not solving my  problem (thanks anyway).  I go through
> the configuration process, save it and it tells me that my server is now
> running.  It then exits me to the console prompt.  I run startx and it it
> gives me the same error(/dev/mouse, no such file or directory).  I look in
> the /dev for a mouse file or directory and it is not there!!  I will check
> to make sure that the serial port is working by booting it with a dos floppy
> and mouse.com.

	/dev/mouse is usually a symbolic link to your mouse device which
is usually /dev/ttyS0 (for a standard serial mouse).  I seem to
remember someone saying that symlink is not a good idea to have
(or was it /dev/modem?).  Anyway, check /etc/X11/XF86Config and
look for a 'pointer' section.  The pointer section will have a
'device' line; make sure its your mouse device, ie. "device
/dev/ttyS0".  The xf86config program will ask you for this info,
IIRC, so alternatively you could try running 'xf86config'; its not
the same as 'XF86Setup'.

--
Ed C.