Re: confusing X problem

> You can find documentation at http://www.cc.gatech.edu/linux/LDP/. Check
> out the Installation and Getting Started Guide, and the X HOW-TOs.

Thank you for the information.  However, I have tried to make sense out of
the information and still can not get anything better than 320x200
resolution.

The Installation and Getting Started Guide referred to two documents
which apparently did not get installed on my system:  VideoModes.doc,
modeDB.txt.  As such, I couldn't find the information that is apparently
necessary to continue.

Even after all of this reading, I simply do not understand what is wrong
with the configuration.  There are several 800x600 mode lines for X to
choose from, and the screens section has both 640x480 and 800x600 listed
under each of the four color depths (8, 16, 24, 32).

That led me to the device section, where everything looked OK, except that
for some strange reason, VideoRam 2048 was commented out.  Unfortunately,
fixing that didn't change the resolution it chose.

It simply makes no sense to me why it is rejecting 640x480 and 800x600
modes without giving any errors about those modes.

Since I clearly don't know what I'm doing, or not doing, could someone
please take a minute to point out the mistakes in my config file?

By the way, my /etc/X11/XF86Config and /var/log/xdm.log are at:

http://home.internetcds.com/~compman/XF86Config
http://home.internetcds.com/~compman/xdm.log

Thank you,
Patrick Olson