Re: What's this about E-Mail support

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Julian S. Taylor wrote:

> Pollywog wrote:
>
> > On 14-Aug-99 Julian S. Taylor wrote:
> > > Salutations,
> > > I've been dead in the water for weeks now. I'm busy and I
> > > don't  have time to hack into the Debian drivers. I bought the
> > > official Debian release and registered it by snail mail. I was
> > > expecting to get back an E-Mail address for the promised 30
> > > days of E-Mail support - never happened. How does that work?
> > > Has anyone on this alias recieved this support?

> > Who promised 30 days of e-mail support?  Debian is not a commercial
> > distribution.  RedHat and Caldera offer 30 days of e-mail support.

> When you buy the full Debian release (through Linux Press I
> think), one of the promised services is "30 days of free E-Mail
> support". It said it in the ad and it says it on the manual but
> there's no E-Mail address listed anywhere.

Julian

I have had 2 editions of "Debian Linux" from Linux press that had a
mail-back card for registering support. The cards both had the
mailint address

	debiansupport@linuxpress.com

and the registration number ON THE SUPPORT REGISTRATION CARD. That
is, both necessary pieces of information are on the card you send
back.  It is unfortunate that they chose to put the information ONLY
there, and it is unfortunte that you didn't see it and write it
down.

I found the book and this mailing list sufficient to get Debian up,
so I never sent the cards back. Besides, to some extent, I like to
support the folk who develop for us.  If you don't want the email
support, you could just down load the book in html format.

If you have your invoice or other proof of purchase, I would think
Linux Press would send you your registration number, provided they
can locate it with your invoice number.  Write Linux Press at pobox
220 Penngrove CA 94951 or call (707 773 4916) and ask them about
this. They are a nice bunch of guys.

If you can't get your registration nubmer from them, I would mail
you my card for the 2nd edition and let you use my 30 days. It's
clear I won't use it. Try them, and let me know.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I'm hoping this is all of the above!)