Logging in w/ session-specific passwd

Salutations,

I log in to Sun using a prompt-response method. The server sends down a
random number, I make an entry into a calculator and it gives me the
password for that session. For this reason, I can't hook up using expect
or chat. Using slackware and Caldera, I just log in using cu. Debian's
configuration has me totally baffled. My usual trick with cu was to log
in, start the ppp session on the remote and then paste in the command:

    ~+/usr/sbin/pppd defaultroute ...

When I use cu on Debian I get the message"pppd permission denied". I can
use wvdial to my ISP but I can't get into Sun now that I've switched to
Debian. What am I doing wrong?

thanks,
Julian