Soundcard Installation Problem

I've done some searching and found that linux is seeing my soundcard,
but the driver is not available (?).  It seems that OSS/Linux has the
driver available, but it is not yet available in OSS/Free (the story of my
life really it seems <grin>, try to get a free piece of software running
and I need to purchase something...).

If anyone knows of a way I can get the soundcard running (even marginally,
hey I would like to be able to use it in Linux, almost got everything else
up to scratch to ditch windows, but games are really bad with no
sound...), then here's the information I've been able to get linux to
read about the soundcard.

The soundcard (as far as I have been able to determine anyhow), is a PCI
ESS Solo-1 (ES1938), it's built onto the motherboard, so I can't just
swap it for one that works in linux (unfortunately... and I can't afford
a new soundcard... yet).

Here's a copy of my /proc/pci file... (I've stripped all the items
relating to devices I have working, or are obviously working (eg
the pci-isa bridge, and the onboard video card <grin>)

------- Begin /proc/pci --------

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
    Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems Unknown device (rev 2).
      Vendor id=1039. Device id=530.
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0000000].

<ide controller - section snipped>
<pci-isa bridge - section snipped>

  Bus  0, device   1, function  1:
    Hot Swap Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems ACPI (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.

<agp video card - section snipped>

  Bus  0, device  13, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=125d. Device id=1969.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 12.  Master Capable.
Late      I/O at 0xd000 [0xd001].
      I/O at 0xd400 [0xd401].
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd801].
      I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc01].
      I/O at 0xe000 [0xe001].

<vga controller - section snipped>
------- End /proc/pci ---------

Here's what I get when I run lspci :-

-------- Output of lspci -------
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]: Unknown device 0530
(rev 02)
00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 (rev d0)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/5513 (rev b1)
00:01.1 Class ff00: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] ACPI
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5591/5592 AGP
00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1
Audiodrive (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]:
Unknown device 6306 (rev a2)
-------- End of output ---------

That just about covers everything, oh yeah, I'm running kernel version
2.2.10 and Debian Potato (since about a month after slink got the go-ahead
for stable).

Regards,
	Peter Ludwig