Re: How to minimize need for manual fsck after unclean unmount

Joseph Chung <jchung@hotpop.com> writes:

> kernel parameter I can tweak so that I'll never have to intervene even if
> the FS is not unmounted cleanly?

Three possible solutions (one and a half, that is.):

1) get a UPS and remove the main switch from the pooter. When your
   parents switch off the ups, Linux still has enough time to cleanly
   shut down

2) similarly, get a mainboard with functioning power-off and remove
   the main switch. The pooter can only be switched off with software
   assistance then and you should be ok. To switch on the computer,
   the D/V button of the modem can be used to generate an interrupt on
   the serial line (most modems generate an OK when D/V is pressed).

3) mount /usr readonly and the rest with the sync option. This will
   make the computer much slower wrt to filesystem performance and is
   not entirely fool-proof but you usually get away without severe
   damage.

Kind regards,
--
Eberhard Burr    check http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Eberhard.Burr/publickey.asc
                 for PGP Key -- #include <stddisc.h> -- electric cookie follows