Re: Bleeding edge video (Matrox G400)

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 markzimm@rmi.net wrote:

> I am in the market for a new computer and I've been looking at Advanced
> System Laboratories (www.aslab.com) as a possible source. They include
> the Matrox G400 card in all of their systems (along with AcceleratedX).
> Xfree86 supports the G400 card in version 3.3.4. but it appears that
> potato is only up to 3.3.3.
>
> If I get this machine and if (actually when) I load it with Debian I'll
> need to resolve all of this. Does anyone have experience with the
> following?
>
> 1. Running AcceleratedX with Debian.
> 2. Running Xfree86 3.3.4 with Debian.
> 3. Having them both available on one machine.
>
> I would like to run Xfree86 and volunteer for testing but I would also
> like a bit of stability.
>
> -- Mark Zimmerman

You have to install and have working an X server before installing AcceleratedX.
I've been using it for about 5 years on differant video cards and it works
great. Don't know about the G400 on 5.x but I've got a G200 on 4.2 and it works
much better then Xfree86. As for stability AcceleratedX has Xfree86 beat here
also. I understand Xfree86 has got much better however. AX supports many more
cards, it's money well spent!

Mike

| Mike Nachlinger         BAC Travel Director |
| (408) 446-9914    mnach@tassajara-group.com |