Re: How to minimize need for manual fsck after unclean unmount

In article <cistron.19990812212915.A5355@rrunner.acme.org>,
Joseph Chung  <jchung@hotpop.com> wrote:
>I've set up a more or less fool-proof Debian box for my parents for their
>word processing (WP8) and internet access needs. As I predicted when I
>first insisted that they use Linux, they hardly need to call me at all to
>fix mysterious crashes and OS flakiness, something I would expect regularly
>if they were using Win9x. All the pieces are in place, expect for those
>infrequent instances when my Dad forgets to shutdown before turning the PC
>off, and a manual fsck becomes necessary upon the next bootup. Is there some
>kernel parameter I can tweak so that I'll never have to intervene even if
>the FS is not unmounted cleanly?

Not a kernel parameter, the kernel doesn't have anything to do with fsck.

You can set 'FSCKFIX=yes' in /etc/defaults/rcS, see man rcS(5)

No guarantees that you won't lose data if you just turn off the
power like that ofcourse .. Linux doesn't have a log-structured
file system just yet. I hoped Stephen Tweedie would code something
up for 2.3, but I've only been seeing announcements from him saying
"next month" for almost half a year now :(

Mike.
--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
	-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"