Kernel problems

Hey,

   I have used Red Hat 5.2 in the past, and recently switched to
Debian 2.1.  I had trouble getting the ALSA modules to work with the
default 2.0.36 kernel, so I compiled my own 2.2.10, and then I could
get sound to work, after manually loading the modules every boot, but
my cdrom drive stopped working, and the system seemed to continue
trying to use the modules from 2.0.36, causing several problems. Can
anyone lend me assistance in creating a custom kernel and installing
the ALSA modules correctly?  Here is some info on my system, just in case:

	Kernel: Whatever works, preferably 2.2.x, currently default 2.0.36
	CDROM:  ATAPI IDE
	Sound:  SB16/PnP

   I would appreciate any help/input, as I happen to like my cdrom
drive, and have a huge collection of mp3s I can't listen to right now
;-P

						--Ryan Chouinard