modem dialin malfunction

Me again :(

On the redhat machine I had a couple modems setup with ppp dialins for the
sales dept to use to get access from the road. It worked perfectly with the
exception that they could only get a max speed of 28.8 dialing into the USR
external 33.6/56K modems.

Since I converted the machine to debian dialins do not work at all. Using
same mgetty setup the modems pick up fine but give gibberish and junk chars
instead of the login prompt and hangs up.

system is potato with exact same hardware that worked on the redhat system
with no changes. 2.2.11 kernel updated today from .10, USR external
sportsters (1 33.6 and 1 56K v90).

Anyone have any idea where I can look to resolve these problems so I don't
have to put the hd with redhat back in the machine? (installed debian on
new seperate hd just in case)

--
Bill West
Conroe TX