Re: laptop: my own kernels don't work

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Pollywog wrote:

> I installed Slink on a ThinkPad 560 and all is well, but if I install my
> own kernel source in /usr/src/linux and compile it, this kernel will not
> work; the machine goes into endless reboots even though I used 'make
> bzImage'.  It will boot from floppy and also from hard drive when I use the
> kernel built as part of the Debian installation.  I am using kernel 2.0.36
> on the laptop.
>
> Any ideas what the problem might be?
> I did not use kernel package, I compiled this kernel the old fashioned way.

Hi Andrew,

I recently installed slink on a Thinkpad 560 too. I'm using kernel 2.2.5
however, I think your problem could just be the bzImage. Have you tried
using a zImage instead? Many laptops have a problem loading the bzImage
compressed kernels--I believe that the tecra boot disk uses a zImage.

Anyway, I use my own customized kernel 2.2.5 with pcmcia-modules and
pcmcia-cs packages compiled from the pcmcia-source package in potato.
That's because the version of pcmcia-source in slink does not support the
2.2.x kernels.

Thanks. Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.