Re: compiling pine

You don't need to do this.

Start dselect and install the pine package and whatever it depends on. It
is in source form, not in binary form as other packages you see in
dselect.

Then look in /usr/src/pine*
Then you have change in the pine directory and enter:
debian/rules binary

This will create the binary pine package in /usr/src

--Julian Stoev