Soundcard & Printer Hassles

I've just recently upgraded my motherboard (the new CPU I got didn't work
on the old motherboard <sigh>), and as such I'm having a few hassles with
Linux doing some things.

The motherboard has a few things inbuilt (yukkie, but it was all I
could afford).  Namely a soundcard and a video card.  The video card
problem was sorted out by a short visit to xfree86.org, so I am not having
any hassles there, but I've got a few hassles with linux recognising my
soundcard.  The onboard soundcard is a ESS style (not sure on the actual
number, but it the win95/98 driver is for the ESS-SOLO1), it's PNP under
Win98 but isapnptools doesn't recognise it as being there for pnp mode.
I've read through the kernel documentation and it noted that for some ess
cards you need to load some code before the soundcard can be activated.
Is this required for my soundcard?  If so, where do I get this code from?

Oh, just remembered the motherboard is a jet-way J-530BF motheboard
(needed it for the AMD-K62/233 chip I got the other day, nice jump from
pentium 90 stage, hey <grin>).

Any responses will be greatfully received on this matter (no flames
please, I'm having enough troubles as it is without them).

On a side note, I own a HP Deskjet 400, and I can't seem to figure out how
to get it to print in colour under linux...  anyone know how to get this
to work?  I didn't want to play around with printer drivers to take a
guess at what one will work, I don't like guessing with computer stuff...
I get enough hassles with the stuff I get without having to worry about
software problems....

Regards,
	Peter Ludwig