Re: Terminal errors

Immanuel Yap wrote:

> On Mon Aug  9, 1999, John Carline wrote:
> > Executing 'dselect' now gives me the error 'Error opening
> > terminal: unknown', and in addition many other commands give
> > similar messages. For example, if I use a pipe to less (ls |
> > less) I get the following:  WARNING: Terminal is not fully
> > functional.
>
> What does 'echo $TERM' say?

Thump! Thump! Thump! <sound of user banging head against desk> :)

Now why didn't I check that??

Thanks Noel. You asked the right question, the $TERM variable was blank. I ran an env
command and compared it to my hamm disk.  All the other variables looked ok. I then
added "TERM=linux" and "export TERM" to my root .profile to see if that fixed it. It
did.

However I'm sure that that's not the correct place  for TERM to be set.  Sooooo! I've
been checking files on my hamm disk in an attempt to find the correct spot. so far
I've looked at /etc/inittab, .profile, .bashrc and any file I could find that said
getty, login or init. No luck yet.

You wouldn't by any chance have another hint in you, would you? :)

Thanks
John